Ramazan (yes that is the correct spelling and how they refer to it here) begins this evening. I know that I am unable to observe it the way the family will but I will be sensitive to how they observe it.
- No food from sunrise to sunset (that includes ANYTHING to drink)
- No smoking
- No marital relations
I am very anxious to see how it is observed and how it compares to all that I have read. My family is incredibly understanding and open. When I have a question, I ask and they attempt to answer in language that I understand. For instance, I’ve read that they will break their fast at sunset with a date, which is known as Iftaar. I have given them a package of dates. Will they indeed start the meal with dates? I don’t know. And they should be finishing up breakfast as I wake up in the morning and will probably go to bed at that point in time. I just don’t know. I have so many questions and I am incredibly curious.
I found this list of quotes for Muslims to share with people during Ramazan. Since I doubt that many of you know a Muslim who might share these, I now share them with you.
- Ramazan is the month whose beginning is mercy, whose middle is forgiveness and whose end is freedom from fire.
- Whoever prays at night in Ramazan out of faith and in the hope of reward, his previous sins will be forgiven.
- Whosoever recites only one ‘Ayat’ in Holy Ramazan, he will be awarded as if he had recited the full Quran in other months.
- When the month of Ramazan starts, the gates of heaven are opened and the gates of hell are closed and devils are tied up.
- It was the Ramazan month, when Quran was sent down to earth as a gift to the entire mankind, giving us guidance to live our life and know the difference between right and wrong.
- Ramazan month is the month to feel hunger, hunger the poor people face every day and share the sorrow of sick people, to review our lives and get closer to Allah.
- Even if all the trees on earth were pens, and the ocean inks, with seven more oceans added to it, the words of Allah would not be exhausted: for Allah is infinite in power and wisdom.
- Ramazan is the month to fast, pray, read Quran and do charity and in return receive rich rewards from Allah.
- If you open your heart and ask honestly from Allah, he is not going to ignore you, but he will focus on you to make you happy.
- Whoever Allah wishes to show goodness, he gives him understanding of the religion.